Essential Foundation Principles for Effective Religious Programming in Correctional Facilities
Through years of experience in providing religious programming in correctional institutions, the Criminal Justice Ministry (CJM) staff has found the following items essentials for providing and administering effective religious programs and services.
- A definite agreement based on the understanding set forth in this document between the Administration of the correctional facility and/or the Programming Agency and the Men’s Ministry Department of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board.
- An employed or volunteer chaplain on the correctional facility staff to coordinate and give general guidance to the religious programming.
- A clearly written approved procedure for enlistment and selection of the chaplain and volunteers.
- A definite and on-going program of training and supervision for volunteers and chaplain, with mandatory Basic Ministry Training before starting assignment.
- Regular communication between the Administration and/or program Agency and the CJM staff.
- Periodic evaluation of programs, Chaplain, and volunteers according to approved processes.