Jump to About the Choir | Mission Statement | Audition Information | Tour Dates and Info
About the Choir
To view a promo video on the Mississippi Baptist All-State Youth Choir & Orchestra, click here.
The Mississippi Baptist All-State Youth Choir and Orchestra (MBASYC&O) began in 1991 with a God-given vision in the hearts of, Graham Smith, director, and Susan Clark Luttrell, youth music/drama consultant for the Worship Ministries of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board, to musically and spiritually strengthen Mississippi Southern Baptist high school students. The choir has grown from 40 members in 1993 to 118 singers. These young people share their love for Christ throughout the state and across the country. Ninth through twelfth grade students audition and interview each fall for positions with the choir and orchestra. Those who are selected attend a three-day rehearsal camp on the campus of William Carey University, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and a six-day concert tour the following summer.
The Mississippi Baptist All-State Youth Choir and Orchestra has been presented in concert in churches throughout Delaware, Maryland, Mississippi and the southeastern United States. They have been privileged to be featured in concert at the Southern Baptist Church Music Conference in Nashville, Tennessee, (1999) and New Orleans, Louisiana, (2008), as well as the Worship and Music Week at Ridgecrest Baptist Conference Center and most recently, the Mississippi Baptist Convention, October, 2014.
An important aspect of this choir and orchestra ministry is involvement in ministry and missions projects. In recent years the students have ministered by presenting concerts in the following locations:
• Harrison County Jail, Gulfport, Mississippi and Hancock County Jail, Waveland, Mississippi
• Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, Mississippi for the U. S. Army’s birthday celebration and for students involved in the Youth Challenge program
• Washington Park, New Orleans, Louisiana
• Mississippi Baptist Convention, October 2014
Their ministry projects have included:
• Participating in Katrina storm damage clean up on the Mississippi Gulf coast (2006, 2008)
• Nursing home ministry in Columbus, Mississippi
• Collecting and making donations to assist continued Katrina storm ministry in Pearlington, Mississippi
• Donation of phone cards and “care packages” for American military personnel in Iraq
• The students and the churches they represent provided four scholarships enabling Gulf coast volunteer and bivocational ministers of music to participate in the 2008 Southern Baptist Church Music Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
• In 2009 they designed and created 20 worship banners for military chaplains in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• In 2011 they sponsored a Block Party with the Bel-Aire Baptist Church, Gulfport, MS
• In 2014 they ministered through concerts at the Hancock County Jail and Waterford Assisted Living in Ridgeland, MS
The September, 2008, issue of YouthCUE, a publication which exists to support and foster the growth of youth choirs in churches and schools across the United States and Canada, honored this ministry by featuring an article and photos sharing the vision and ministry of the choir and orchestra.
Dr. Richard Joiner, the former chair of the Music Department, Mississippi College, Clinton, Mississippi, directed the choir for the first ten years of its ministry. Dr. Jamie Meaders, served as choral director 2003 -2012. Slater Murphy, the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board Worship Ministries Director currently serves as the choral director. The orchestra is conducted by Byron Green, Instrumental Event Coordinator, Worship Ministries.
Sponsored by Worship Ministries
Mississippi Baptist Convention Board
Jackson, MS 39205-0530
Reneé Phillips Memorial Scholarship
A scholarship to aid deserving MBASYC&O members has been established in memory of Reneé Phillips, who was a member of the choir for several years as a result of our partnership with the Maryland/Delaware Convention. Reneé went to be with our Lord in September, 2005, following a year long battle with lung cancer.
Responding to the desire of Reneé and her parents, Rick and Donna, the 2006 scholarship was awarded to a choir member affected by Hurricane Katrina.
Other deserving students, who would not have been able to participate without the provision of the scholardship, have also been assisted.
Contributions to this scholarship fund would be greatly appreciated in order to continue to assist young people in being a part of the ministry that was so important to Reneé and her family. Please send donations to Worship Ministries, Mississippi Baptist Convention Board, P.O. Box 530, Jackson, MS 39205.
The MBASYC&O seeks to assemble Christ-like young people and adult leaders to
- Worship and lead in worship of Almighty God
- Grow spiritually and musically
- Experience and present different styles of Christian musical literature
- Establish a statewide network of Christian peers and mentors
- Acquaint participants with churches, educational institutions, conferences and other missions of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Help bring Mississippi and the world to Jesus
Audition interviews for the MBASYC&O are held each September and October in several locations around Mississippi. Students in grades 9 through 12 who are active members of music ministries in Southern Baptist churches are eligible to audition. Both vocal and instrumental auditions are given at each location.
Forms & Registration
All forms should be downloaded, completed, and returned to Worship Ministries at the time of the auditions.
You may also view information concerning preparing for auditions:
Tour Dates and Info
June 6-8, 2022
William Carey University, Hattiesburg
Mississippi Baptist All-State Youth Choir & Orchestra
2022 Tour Dates
June 8-12, 2022
Mississippi Churches (Locations TBA)
Thursday, June 13 (Home Concert)
First Baptist Church
431 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39201
Click here to download All-State Information pages and forms.